When we think of the world’s great museums, there’s a couple that will immediately spring to mind, like Paris’ Louvre or New York City’s Museum of Modern Art. However, we’re lucky to have an awesome museum of our own right here in the city of brotherly love.
While it may not be as big as some of its internationally renowned counterparts, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is an artistic dynamo.
If you want a taste of what this museum has to offer, the Cherry Hill Nissan team is here to give you the scoop.
When you walk the halls of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, it’s clear that quality trumps quantity. Meshing academic study and creative play, the museum’s collection features some amazing works that you won’t find elsewhere, such as:
- The biggest compendium of sculptures by Constantin Brancusi.
- An unparalleled collection of works by Marcel Duchamp.
- A tremendous variety of Impressionist/Post-Impressionist works .
As of Spring 2017, several exhibits are available for public viewing. Highlights include:
- American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent, exploring the watercolor movement shaped by innovators Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent.
- Bruce Nauman: Contrapposto Studies, I through VII, presenting new works by Bruce Nauman, which explore video, sound, and performance.
- Phulkari: The Embroidered Textiles of Punjab from the Jill and Sheldon Bonovitz Collection, which examines the ornate embroidery of Pakistan and India.
- Lino Tagliapietra: Painting in Glass, featuring large-scale abstract glass panels designed by Lino Tagliapietra.
As these excellent exhibits complete their tenure at the museum, new works by Jeanne van Heeswijk, Michael Nichols, Anne Brigman, and more will be moving in. Be sure to stay up to date with the museum’s Facebook to learn more.
Stop in for a Visit
With such an incredible collection, it will be easy to lose yourself at the Philadelphia Museum of Art for an entire afternoon or more. Stop by Tuesday through Sunday to see for yourself.
Wednesdays and Fridays are especially jam-packed with events, classes, and live music. Drop in to make some beautiful art of your own!